Saturday, July 31, 2010

Commissioned Painting of Lion

I have begun a new painting today.  It is a commission work of a lion.  I looked for zoo photos but couldn't find anything of a lion that I wanted to use.  I did find a couple of photos of lions online.  I'm using about 3 for reference so hopefully I can keep proportions decent enough that it ends up okay although I'm not sure the hairline is where I want it yet.  I started on a toned canvas and have started to lay in my lights and darks.  As usual, I start with an acrylic underpainting.  I tried to do the mane by laying all the lights and darks, but I didn't like the result so I started brushing them in.  So far I like the effect better.  I've removed my charcoal...maybe too early because I've lost the far side of his face.  I will not be doing a video of this one, but I'll post photos as I progress.  This is a fairly large painting - 30" x 40".  Also the camera is below eye level of the painting so it makes the painting height compress a bit - the lion is proportionally taller than he looks in the image. 


No comments:

Post a Comment